On Wednesdays, I take a look at the impact of current events directly or indirectly impacting me and apply them to a business management context.
Tonight, I will be attending the annual "mixer" for Wichita Professional Communicators. This provides me with an opportunity to chat and get to know other professionals in a more relaxed atmosphere. However, because I do not wish to offend with poor etiquette this evening, I believe that it is appropriate to review the commonly accepted social etiquette for an event such as this. These etiquette tips are identical regardless of the professional atmosphere, because this evening's event, while called a "social mixer" is ultimately a professional event requiring the same level of professional tact that I might carry myself in the office or other professional settings.
Arrive on time: This one is a no-brainer. I am expected to arrive a little early so that I may be able to collect money at the door for this mixer. To not arrive on time to assist with this task would be a slight to the host of the event.
Avoid controversial topics like they are the plague: Another no-brainer, but it is a trap that some of my fellow attendees at this event may still fall into. If I run into something like this, I will do my best to either shift the topic or move to another group at the event (see "graceful exit" below). Offending someone with subject matter ranging from politics to religion is a bad way to obtain their business in the future.
Introduce yourself/greet anyone within about a 5 foot radius of you, unless it is disruptive to do so: Always introduce/greet with a firm handshake and a brief introduction (if you do not know the person) or a brief statement, such as "how are you this evening?"
Bring all group members, including new arrivals into conversation as much as possible: This part of the dance I struggle with, as I believe that many of us do. Try to pepper what you are talking about with questions of the others within the group you are speaking, especially new members of the group. Remember, that you obtain more important information by listening than by speaking.
Practice remembering names: Another area where I wish I were better with. The most recommended method of trying to remember names is by repeating the name of the person you are greeting when they mention it to you (e.g. "Ann, it's a pleasure to meet you."). If you are actively mixing with others, there is a good chance that you will not remember everyone's name off the top of your head, but by using the "name repeat" method, the length of time that it takes to connect the face and the name is decreased.
Be sincere and show that sincerity to others with good eye contact: The eyes are the gateway to the soul. By connecting your eyes with those of another, you are opening yourself up to the other person or people in the group. This non-verbal technique will add validity to what you are saying and will encourage others to open up to you.
Mingle between multiple groups to maximize the contacts you make during the mixer: My only caveat to this advice is that if you are not great at remembering names, I believe that you can over-mingle. Introducing yourself to everyone in the room is great, but if you cannot remember more than half of them later, it's less useful than introducing yourself to fewer individuals and having a much higher recall rate later.
Understand and implement the "graceful exit:" It is important to always politely excuse yourself before moving on from one person/group to another. Never simply turn and walk away! At worse, simply say, "Excuse me" and wave to the rest of the group before moving on. At best, say, "it's been a pleasure to meet you (use name(s) when possible), please excuse me," and throw in another handshake for good measure.
The "mixer" can be just as much of a professional battlefield as the office place, and perhaps more so because many people let their guard too far down during these types of events. I'm going to try not to be one of those people this evening. I encourage you not to be one of those people as well!
Minding My Own Business is a blog written by Augustine Iacopelli. This blog consists of a mix of general business observations and contrarian positions on relevant topics as well my own forays in the world of business and networking.
No comments:
Post a Comment